Tuesday, May 02, 2006

No Congestion Charge please, we are Americans!

I get asked a lot by my friends what I thought of the congestion charge in London, as they know that I drive into London quite a bit. The truth is, I actually don't mind paying for it if the money is put to good use - ie in improving the public transport system that London seriously needs. I know that the charge is hurting a lot of small businesses that have to go in and out of the congestion charge zone on a daily basis.

One thing I really don't understand is why the US embassy refuses to pay the congestion charge and ends up owing Transport for London (TfL) over a quarter of a million pounds! Why do they think that they are exempt from paying? It's not as if they can't afford to pay for a start, and why do they think they have this "privilege" when tourists who hire cars are still expected to pay? Just because they are diplomats???? Also when I drive in the US, I still have to pay for all the tolls.

Now get real - this is not a tax! Being a diplomat doesn't mean that you can have everything free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home