Sunday, April 30, 2006

Do Peacocks like Sherbet Fountain?

For my birthday last week, I was down in Poole in Dorset - first time I went there. It's a nice seaside town but I bet it's hell on a busy summer day! The house prices in that area are verging on the ridiculously expensive - a 2-bedroom apartment by the seafront is going for just under half a million pounds!

Seemed to have spent a fair amount of time eating. Russell bought me dinner at the restaurant at Mansion House on Saturday evening - food was not bad but I was so full after the starter and main course, that I had to skip the dessert. Had pork belly for starter, and then duck as main course. All washed down with a nice bottle of Chablis (soooo predictable).

Then on Sunday we found a shop that sold sherbet fountain - I've tried the gourmet version at the Fat Duck, but this was the first time I actually saw the original stuff. So bought one to try it out - a bit of a disappointment really as it didn't really fizz, and the liquorice made my fingers rather sticky.... So gave up after a while and put the sherbet fountain in my bag for later.

Also took the opportunity to take the ferry across to Brownsea Island, which is a National Trust property. The island is full of peacocks, and all of them were not afraid of human beings. The peacocks seemed to enjoy following me, even when I was walking along the beach - one peacock was quite happy to follow me, and then I tried to keep it amused by showing it my unfinished sherbet fountain, and it just got so close to me that it wanted to have the snack. And then later on, there were 4 peacocks chasing me at the same time, all wanting to try the sherbet fountain.... needless to say, they didn't get any of it - somehow I don't think the National Trust would approve me feeding the animals with such fancy snacks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home