Friday, March 17, 2006

Shaking hand with four-time Oscar winner

The weather in London yesterday was bitter cold and wet, and yet I braved the weather to go into London to meet two of my heroes - Nick Park and Steve Box, the directors for Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of the Were-Rabbits.

It was an event organised by the Animation Art Gallery in London, and there were security guys at the door checking the names of the people on the guestlist. Fortunately I was on the list (well, buying some stuff there helps!). This was the second time I met Nick Park (the last one was back in 2000 I think, when I met him, Peter Sallis, Dave Sproxton and Peter Lord), and as usual he came across as a shy, quiet and modest man, but in my eyes he's pure genius. First time I met Steve Box and he appeared slightly less shy, but just as modest and equally friendly as Nick Park. There was a good turnout of people at the event, and everyone was obviously excited to see them. Even BBC London sent some crews to interview them.

I waited for well over an hour before I got a chance to say a quick hello and congratulate both heroes on their success of their latest masterpiece. Got my pictures signed, and I also got the DVD and my book from the 10th anniversary W&G exhibition in Japan signed too - so I was just totally over the moon. Felt a bit guilty asking Nick to sign these extra things though. I was in a bit of a trance at the time I think - not often I'd get to meet and shake hands with an Oscar winner, let alone a four-time Oscar Winner!!!!! And just think that I've shaken the hand of the creator of Wallace and Gromit, and godfather of stop-frame animation!

My only regret was that I didn't really say anything more to Nick or Steve really - I suppose I was just lost for words when I was standing in front of them. Still, I knew there was still a long queue of people behind me, and it wouldn't be fair to hold up and delay these two great guys leaving the gallery and going home.....

I wonder how long I'll have to wait before the next Wallace and Gromit film comes out, but I am already looking forward to it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home